Nogsport: Nogsport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I bought this back in 2007, it was advertised as a 16v but turned out to be only 8v when I went to look. I bought it anyway as I wanted to see what quattro was like, albeit with 115bhp. I didn't notice much difference as it didn't go fast enough to get into any trouble, until I pulled quickly out of a wet side road like it was dry Very Happy

It came with a large history file, period soft spokes and a bit of front left damage. It also had a manky oatmeal interior:

I bought a tired 80 sport:

and swapped out the interior:

and used it daily, with low gearing and grippy front tyres/shite rear, it was great for getting across town via the back streets. Just needed more power.

Then some guy tried to use my lane on a roundabout and pushed me up the kerb, putting a big hole in my almost new Vredestein:

and a dint in the front left:

.....the same front left with existing damage Twisted Evil I received a nice fat cheque to repair it myself, a few months later Very Happy

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total 
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I bought a Vx Omega as I needed a big estate, so the 80 was retired and parked up for several months, until the snow came and the Omega refused to move, as did everyone else's cars as I live in a hilly area, so the place ground to a halt. I got the 80 out and it was awesome, the snow lasted about 2 weeks and I was the only one getting in or out:

Just needed more power, so I worked out a plan of using 90 20vq suspension and front brakes. I found a donor car, but it was a Coupe, so the front hubs and brakes are wrong, but I bought it anyway:

http://www.nogsport.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2189&highlight=

For the more power, I looked around at what the options were. It was either 1.8t, which was a common engine but mostly 150bhp, or keep it retro and supercharge using VW G60 stuff on my 2.0 block to get around 190-200bhp. I liked the G60 idea and looked for a sutable donor when a B2 80, with a 1.8t AJL 180bhp engine installed in it, came up on ebay, and it was only a few miles away, I bought it and pulled the engine:

then bolted into the 80 using the flywheel from the 2.0 engine:

and bodged up temporary mounts to get the position:

apart from pushing a few brake pipes out of harms way on the master cyl and ABS unit, it fit's in nicely Very Happy

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total 
mb1009
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote

That B2 80 - what was wrong with it ?

Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote

It had no engine Smile I put it up for sale but had no enquiries, so broke it up.

and a Volvo 
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I started to build up the engine, the throttle cable was long enough to reach the inlet but the inner is too long, so a bodge was called for:

it was missing the power steering pump part of the large 1.8 alternator/ps pump bracket so I used the 2.0 assembly, apart from the alternator bracket which fouled on the timing belt:

so I knocked up an alternator bracket:

and with a 5mm spacers behind the alternator and ps pump pulleys, it all worked fine..... for now. I temp connected the fuel lines and re-routed the brake servo vac pipe.

Using Google, some wiring diagrams that came with the car and Haynes B3 Audi 80 and B5 Passat manuals, I started to work out the wiring with what does what and why. As the donor car was already a conversion it was easy to see what had been done, so before I pulled the 1.8 engine, I looked at how the two looms had been joined, once I was confident I knew what did what, I pulled the 80 engine and took the glovebox door off, removed the heater fan housing and pulled the 80 engine loom through into the cabin:

I cut out all the redundant wiring from the car and cut out the hard spongy bit in the middle of the 1.8 loom:

then removed any unneeded wiring:

After soldering it back together again with shrink sleeving over the solder joints, I installed the loom and temporarily twisted and taped the two looms together to test it worked. I trimmed the wires so I could solder the knock sensor wires onto the ecu plug, as they are a screened balanced setup that would be susceptible to external interference if I had just joined them together, as it turned out, I could have done with the extra length of wire to be able to put the ecu in the original position behind the heater:

I removed the fuel pump relay then connected the battery and turned the ign on, apart from the oil warning buzzer it all lit up fine. I changed the 1.8t single oil pressure switch for the oil pressure gauge sender which also contains the low oil pressure switch, there was a blanked off outlet on the pump but it won't take the high oil pressure switch or pressure gauge sender due to the shape of the casting, so I put the smaller oil temp sender in. The oil pressure gauge is enough until I find an adapter.

I cranked the engine and watched the oil pressure build up then connected the fuel pump relay, turned the key and it fired up straight away Very Happy I tidied up the wiring, but as it's coming out again I used connector block to join the looms together for the time being:

This is how I wired it up so far to get it running, it's for the ME3.8.2 ECU on an AJL engine. Other versions of the 1.8t ECUs are wired differently.
The 80 wire color first then the 1.8:

Red - Red: +12v constant live for the ECU, unfused
Black - Black/blue: ignition system, unfused so going to add an inline 20A fuse
Blue/red - Green/yellow: from the engine control 1 10A fuse to 4x injectors
Blue/black - Red/green: +12v from the engine control 2 15A fuse to 4x engine senders
Green/lilac - Red/blue: from the fuel pump relay to the ECU
Red/black - Red/black: starter
Blue - Blue: alternator
Blue/brown - Blue/brown: from temp sender to temp gauge
Green/blue - Green/blue: rev counter

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total 
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote

I made up some new engine mounts and used stiffer rubber mounts as the Audi ones allow loads of movement, Google told me Land Rover mounts would to fit the bill and they are about the same height as the Audi ones. I have a softer plan B if they are too stiff which is Ford Transit mounts, but they are taller so I made mounts that can be easily adapted if needed:

They are very stiff, I can't move the engine about by hand, but when running there's no vibrations felt in the car when free revving the engine, so we'll see how it goes.

I tried mounting the intercooler within the crossmember, but it sat too low for the stock bumper:

If the engine mounts can hold a Diesel in place when off roading a Land rover, I reckon I don't need the snub mount and can put the intercooler further back and up a bit.

I made a crossmember/rad/intercooler support:

I fitted a stainless decat exhaust system:

Using the old downpipes as a guide, I bought two lengths of 2" pipe bent to 80, plus an o2 sensor bung, and set about making a downpipe:

I expected it to be a struggle, but somehow with a bit of patience, I got my cuts and angles right and it all came together:

in place with a new o2 sensor:

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total 
mb1009
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote

nice work

Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote

I fitted a 3xM10*1 adapter onto the oil filter housing so I could get both oil pressure switches and oil pressure gauge at the same time. Also fitted an altitude sensor:

and replaced the green temp sender (as it read 90 at cold), with a black/yellow one from a golf, p/n's 357919501A 6U0919501B. Thanks to Biker Jim for that info thumbup I had to swap the plug as they are different shapes, but the wiring colours are the same:

I used a 22mm brass tank connector as a BOV outlet, which made the car drivable, so after running it up to temp to test the temp gauge and check for leaks, I gave it it's first full boot up the short driveway Very Happy

I now had the alternator/power steering pump assembly from a Passat I broke. Yes, another car died Image that's four now. The p/s hose to the rack just about reaches to the passat pump outlet, and I cut the banjo off the 80s inlet pipe as it's a push on fitting with a clip on the Passat pump. Also cut off the viscous fan, leaving just the idler:

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote

The original rad fan fouled on the alternator, so I did some hacking up of the fan shroud and two Passat fans:

and got them to fit with space to spare. The 80s wiring to the fan has an earth, red/blk from the rad switch, and red/blu from the engine bay after run temp switch. I joined both the red/* wires so the fans run on either temp sensor at full speed for the time being.

I cut the fuel lines at the bulkhead and used the fuel pipes from the Passat, as they are push on with pipe clips. I gave the 80's fuel lines a bit of a squeeze to put some ridges them for the rubber pipes to grip on:

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total 
Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I made a support for the maf, which doubles as an extra heat sink for the ignition control module:

and put the front back together again:

So that's the engine in and running, not much left now before I can put it in for an MOT Very Happy

The DVLA are being dick's about me changing the engine no and cc Rolling Eyes so I have to provide proof I have put the engine in that I say I have. I've asked them four times why I have to do this, but they won't provide an answer.

and a Volvo

Last edited by Jamin on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total 
mb1009
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote

send them a link to this thread :-)

I'm surprised they haven't asked for an engineers report or the name of the garage doing the swap.

That's what they usually do

Top job btw and it looks pretty stealthy with the bonnet shut. intercooler i s the only hint

Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote

I had read about these requirements before I started, so was expecting the worst and getting the engineers report option. So I changed as little as I can, just in case. Once it's MOT'd and the V5 is correct, I can get on with changing the brakes and suspension.

and a Volvo 
Beerbelly
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Lovely work, very tidy Smile

I had the same problem as you with regards to the DVLA
The garage that did the MOT was a known friend.

So he gave me a signed and stamped letterhead A4 paper and we filled in words to the effect of (can't remember word for word):
"The conversion work has been carried out to a satisfactory standard with no known issues with original Audi parts used"
That got me a V5 with the new engine details and a MOT

Jamin
Nogsporter
Nogsporter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote

Cheers for that info thumbup

and a Volvo 
Beerbelly
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote

No worries, check your PM's